It’s the end of June, school’s out and the kids are getting restless. They are probably less busy than usual, and more importantly, less active. Children need to continue an active lifestyle in order to maintain health and wellness year round. Why not get the whole family involved this summer by planning outdoor activities that get everyone up and moving?
Here are 10 ideas we love for kids and families to make fitness fun this summer:
- Encourage active play as a physical activity to get kids interested in exercise – tag, kickball, pickup soccer, etc.
- Take advantage of the summer weather to get outside and walk, hike or bike together.
- Swim laps or play pool games instead of tanning outside the water.
- Join a recreational sports league through your local community center.
- Make family time active by heading to the park rather than the movies.
- Give your kids chores that get them moving like walking the dog or helping in the garden.
- At the beach, start games of frisbee, football or volleyball on the sand.
- Sign your family up for a charity run/walk or bike ride and train for it throughout the summer.
- Try learning a new sport or activity together like tennis or rollerblading.
- Buy sports toys or outdoor game equipment for kids’ gifts instead of tech toys and video games.
How does your family stay healthy & active over the summer?
- The Savvy Staff