It is a beautiful thing to wake up and hear birds chirping outside your window. These bagel bird feeders are an easy project for kids to do that will welcome even more feathery friends to your yard. The bird feeder is made out of things that can easily be found in your pantry and even if you can’t, buying these items will total to no more than $10 and very cost-effective for a fun hands-on project. Kids will have fun watching and enjoying nature as birds flock to enjoy their work of art!
Bird seeds or bird food
Twigs from your yard
1. Pull the ribbon through the hole in the middle of the bagel, cut at the desired length and tie the two ends together so your birdfeeder will have something to hang by.
2. Using a plastic knife, spread peanut butter on both sides of the bagel. Be sure to spread it on thick enough so that the bird food will stick to it.
3. Pour a liberal amount of the bird food out onto the paper plate, then press both sides of the bagel down on the food so it will stick.
4. To create a perch for the birds, break off a piece of a twig and push it through the hole in the middle. Use extra peanut butter to fill in any gaps around the hole to keep the twig in place.
5. Go outside and hang your bird feeder so that the birds can enjoy!
This is a very easy project to do with kids and the peanut butter makes the project kid-friendly. Kids will be excited to hang up their final product and watch for birds to come!
The Savvy Staff